Re: Could you help me ? SQL Server or Oracle ?

From: Michael Shapiro <MiShapiro_at_pop200.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: 14 Jan 1999 22:18:13 GMT

There are many different parameters involved.

  1. Big database. How big is big? SQL Server does not have some data types that handle large objects that Oracle has. MS claims that SQL 7 can handle DB more that 2GB files and up to TERABYTES??? Only few facts support this at this point in time.
  2. Money? For five licenses SQL server is less expensive.
  3. Does reliability is critical for your app? SQL 7. is improved ( Memory Management ), but there is no long term observation data on how it behaves in production (it is new database) vs Oracle that has a long history of being reliable and high performance DB. In addition SQL Server 7 does not have reliable backup/recovery capability yet.

Regards,
Michael

In article <77iqr0$qcs$5_at_front1.grolier.fr>, "Samuel Villeneuve" <svillen_at_club-internet.fr> says: