Re: How do I MOVE a database?

From: Rob Medley <medleyrk_at_iafrica.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:46:49 +0200

How to move a database :

  1. Shutdown normal
  2. Move your database files and/or redo log files and/or control files using whatever O/S commands you like.
  3. If you moved the control files, then edit your configuration file to reflect the new locations.
  4. In Server Manager, mount, but don't open your database : ie. startup mount
  5. In Server Manager, rename each file that you moved with the alter database command : ie Alter database rename file 'oldname' to 'newname'; (the ENTIRE path must be used) 6.In Server Manager, open your database : ie. Alter database open;

thats all there is to it.

Rob Medley
medleyrk_at_iafrica.com