Re: Disabling internal password

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:35:51 +0100

Answers embedded

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

ppla_at_sgosoft.com wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an Oracle Server 7.3.3 and internal conection requires a
> password. I would like to disable this feature. I know that orapwd
> enables password for internal but I don't know the way to disable it.
>
> I have some questions to ask:
> Is the password for internal stored only in the password file?

Yes

> Which are the differences between internal and sys?

internal is not in the datadictionary, it will allow you to connect when the database is not running (ie mounted), whereas connecting as sys requires the database to be running

> Is the password file used only by svrmgr (sqldba)?

No, any tool allowing you to connect as sysdba or sysoper, most likely enterprise manager, but also sqlplus.

> Where may I find information on this subject?(Yes, I know... Administrator
> Guide or server concepts of course... but other sources?)

Probably any book about DBA activities including the Oracle DBA handbook by Osborne