Re: strange sqlplus problem w/ Oracle 7.3.4

From: Babette Turner-Underwood <babettet_at_you.cant.spam.me>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:41:07 GMT

mjain_at_my-dejanews.com wrote in message <7763j3$ja$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>DBPATH is your unix environment variable and SQL-Plus
>does not recognize the unix environment variable, that
>is why you are getting this error.
>
>Specify the actual value of DBPATH in your SPOOL command
>and you will be okay.
>
>Unix environment variables are not available inside SQL-Plus
>at SQL> prompt.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Manoj Jain

SQL*Plus on UNIX (DEC unix 3.2c, Oracle 7.3.4) does understanding environment variables very well!!!

For example, running a script using environment variables works fine:

    $ temp=/somedirectory/someotherdirectory     export temp
    echo 'select user from dual;' > $temp/test.sql

    sqlplus username/password
    SQL> spool $temp/test.out
    SQL> start $temp/test.sql

USER

USERNAME Note you WILL have a problem if you forget to export the UNIX environment variable first, as in:

SQL CMISDEV> spool $temp1/testfile
Cannot create spool file.

WHERE "temp1" WAS NOT EXPORTED FIRST.

I do not know what the problem is in the post BUT I do not think it is related to using UNIX environment variables.

Babette Turner-Underwood, TMI Communications babettet_at_tmi.ca