Re: Triggers Performance cost

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:50:57 +0800

Ilias Santouridis wrote:

> Hi
>
> we want to perform value auditing in the application we're developing.
> We plan to use triggers for that purpose.
>
> What is the performance overhead that the usage of triggers will cause ?
> We plan to audit about 40 tables and we need at least 3 triggers per
> table. The audited tables will be updated very frequently.
>
> I would like to thank you in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Ilias

Of course there is a performance penalty but no more than if you coded the auditing yourself in the application....

We've has some apps in the past that we changed to move our auditing and other business rules into triggers and the different in performance was negligible...

HTH --

Connor McDonald
BHP Information Technology
Perth, Western Australia
"The difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad" Received on Wed Jan 13 1999 - 19:50:57 CST