Re: Upgrade to Oracle8

From: Javier Gorostiaga <j-gorostiaga_at_nwu.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:18:35 -0600

First of all, you must take a valid cold backup of your final 7 database. Then you install 8 on a separate $ORACLE_HOME (/oracle/product/8.x.x). In this way, the 7 code is left intact. As for the Database files, they need to be converted to 8. This can be done in one of two ways:
1) export/import. The import would be to a new location and your 7 database is left intact. You now have both Oracle 7 and 8 available to you.

     OR
2) I don't remember the name of this 2nd option but essentially it upgrades the existing Oracle7 database to Oracle8 in place. This destroys the ability to reopen this database with Oracle 7 ever again. But if you were forced to go back to Oracle7, a restore of the cold backup together with the Oracle7 code that as I mentioned earlier was left intact in its own ORACLE_HOME (/oracle/product/7.x.x) would get you there.

Javier