Re: Oracle on NT versus UNIX???

From: Alexander Goller <alex_at_vivien.franken.de>
Date: 12 Jan 1999 23:39:19 GMT

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:25:21 +0100, John Martin Kvalsund wrote:

>I have an appliction (IFS applications, any experience with that??) running
>on Oracle 7.3.3 on NT server 4.0 SP3. The hardware is a Compaq Proliant
>2500 containing 2 CPU's (Pentium Pro 200) and 1 GB of RAM. With approx. 30
>users of the application this server meets the limit. All available memory
>is consumed by Oracle and the CPU usage hits 100 % in long periods, (end of
>months etc.). I have two choices:
>
>1: By a new 4 processor NT box.
>
>2: By a suitable Unix box (i.e. Sun Enterprise server 450) and convert the
>Oracle database.

 3: Install Linux on some box half the size with half the RAM and convert

    the database to one on 8.0.x and try some performance test. I hope     you will see some stunning results. All this is free and might give     you a good impression of how it might look like on a UNIX box.

Later on you may decide to settle to e.g. Solaris, the Linux version is still regard developer release. But, as pointed out, it gives a good impression and works fine and fast (as far as i can say, i'm not a real dba or something, there was just nobody else doing it).
>Appreciate any advice on this matter, has anyone done a NT-to-Unix
>convertion, what was the result, the costs etc.

Yep, we stepped from NT to Slowlartis with the result of a stable database server (rock-solid). Costs were for the new UNIX box, for Oracle on that box, some days of installing and tuning.

bye, alex
--
Last yeer I kudn't spel Engineer. Now I are won. Received on Tue Jan 12 1999 - 17:39:19 CST