ORA-07279 using ORACLE 8.0.5 and HPUX 10.20, semaphore set error

From: Steve Maestas <smaestas_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 12 Jan 1999 18:21:49 GMT

If anybody is running Oracle and HPUX and could give me a rough idea on what to set the Semaphore parameters to, I would greatly appreciate it. I am running 4 Oracle instances v8.0.5 on a HPUX v10.20 box, with 1.5 Gig RAM.
I initially set the kernal parameter, semaphore specific, to the following:

SHMMAX 1073741824
SHMMIN 100
SHMMNI 600
SHMSEG 60
SEMMNS 800
SEMMNI 280 This worked fine, but when I modified the ora files to enable "large" databases settings, I was able to stop/start the first instance. When I attempted to stop/start the second instance I recieved the following error message:

ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set. HP-UX Error: 28: No Space left on device Additional information: 200
Additional information: 2

I bumped up the semaphore parameters and rebooted. The instances started up fine, but when I changed a third instance for "large" db settings, I recieved the same message. To test I stoped all Oracle instances and attempted to start the "changed" instance, same error message. I do not understand the whole semaphore concept, but it seems to me if I stoped the other instances the semaphores would be free, and I would be able to start the "changed" instance. If I now attempt to start the other instances I get this message. I am sure if I reboot, it will fix the problem and the instances will be running. Is there a bug or fix for either Oracle or HPUX that fixes this, or is this just how it works and my own ignorance?

Current Settings:

SHMMAX 1073741824
SHMMIN 100
SHMMNI 600
SHMSEG 60
SEMMNS 1000
SEMMNI 400
SEMMNU = SEMMSL = 1000 Thanks

Steve Received on Tue Jan 12 1999 - 12:21:49 CST