Re: Is RAID useful for Oracle database files?

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_safeaccess.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:25:17 GMT

>In article <3699edf6.14942187_at_news.atriserv.nl>,
> mvdaal_at_arisco.nl (Monique van Daal) wrote:
>> We know it is possible to use RAID 5 on SUn Solaris for our Oracle
>> databases. But does anybody know if it is also USEFUL to apply RAID 5
>> with Oracle database?

Raid 5 isn't all that bad. You lose write performance, gain read performance, and protect your data. A lot depends on the type of database too. If it's write performance is a big issue, and you can afford the extra disk, raid 0+1 (striped and mirrored) is the best configuration.

        Chuck
--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_safeaccess.net

Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself! Received on Tue Jan 12 1999 - 08:25:17 CST