Re: DDL statements in archive logs?

From: David Sisk <davesisk_at_ipass.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 22:55:59 -0500

Hi Mike:

To the best of my understanding:

All changes are recorded to the redo logs/archive logs. DDL statements are expanded into the respective DML statements issued against the data dictionary tables. So, the DDL (really DML) that reflects the creation of the datafile (it's info being added to the data dictionary) is stored. However, the datafile is not physically re-created by recovery.

I suppose this makes sense. If the recovery process physically re-created the datafile, then it would overwrite the datafile if it already existed (although I'm sure Oracle could find a way to prevent this), and you might not want that to happen.

IF you have all the archive logs that were generated since the datafile was created, you can create an "empty" datafile, and apply all the changes from the archive logs. Check the recovery section of the administrator's guide for details.

Regards,
--
David C. Sisk
The Unofficial ORACLE on NT site

mike.lacy_at_alcoa.com wrote in message <77dvc2$f4t$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>Does anyone know if DDL statements are archived in the archive log files?
We