Re: Changing SYS and SYSTEM Passwords

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:09:14 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:03:49 GMT, sgoodson_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>Must a user be connected/logged in as SYS or SYSTEM in order to change the
>SYS/SYSTEM password or does the ALTER USER privilege allow a user to make this
>change?

Any user having ALTER USER privilege can change the password of *any* database user, including SYS AND SYSTEM.

Example:

SQL> CONNECT SYSTEM/MANAGER
Connected.
SQL> GRANT ALTER USER TO SCOTT; Grant succeeded.

SQL> CONNECT SCOTT/TIGER
Connected.
SQL> ALTER USER SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY BLAHBLAH; User altered.

SQL> CONNECT SYSTEM/BLAHBLAH
Connected.
SQL>
>Steve

HTH,
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Mon Jan 11 1999 - 17:09:14 CST