Re: Multiple Server Versions on one machine

From: Ed Bruce <Ed.Bruce_at_ha.hac.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:48:57 -0600

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> One important thing: the dbstart procedure doesn't start the listener. As
> Oracle 8 comes with a new product (Net8) you need to make sure both
> listeners are started
>
> Final question though:
> Why don't you upgrade the 7.3.2 app to 7.3.4 and move all the data to your
> Oracle 8 database. Oracle 8 is downwards compatible with 7.3.4. Just a

> thought.

And so is the listener. You don't need both running. I installed Oracle8 to test a few months ago and used it's listener to support a 7.2.3, 7.3.3, and 8.0.4 installation. We had one instance running under 7.2.3, four instances under 7.3.3, and one under 8.0.4. The 8.0.4 listener connected my process with the correct instance.

You just need to configure the listener.ora file with the correct $ORACLE_HOME for each database instance you have running.

later,
Ed Bruce Received on Mon Jan 11 1999 - 13:48:57 CST