Re: Is RAID useful for Oracle database files?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 15:47:34 +0100

Hi Monique,
There have been heated debates about this in this newsgroup before. RAID 5 has a performance penalty because of the parity checks during write. The consensus is that raid 5 in a write intensive environment is not recommended, especially not for the disks where the redo log files reside.
I once had to live with RAID 5 on NT server. It seemed to be about for times slower compared with the VAX I worked with before.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA