Re: binary logic in SQL?

From: keith boulton <boulke_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 10:17:28 GMT

On 6 Jan 1999 14:35:12 GMT, rodney_at_watchtower.LF.net (Rodney Volz) wrote:

>Is there any way to use bitmap masks in oracle? What
>I need is something like:
>
> select * from emp where flags & 0x02 != 0;
>
>where "flags & 0x02" behaves as if it was C code.
>
>Thanks,
>-Rodney Volz

I think you would be better advised to define a single character field with a value of either 1 or Y for true and null for false ( assuming you only want to retrieve true values). This would allow the use of indexes on the true/false columns in which only the true values would exist making the index small.
 Bitmap indexes may also be useful (although I've never used them and can't remember the advantages/disadvantages at the moment). Received on Sun Jan 10 1999 - 04:17:28 CST