Re: Oracle on NT vs. Solaris, first results

From: <nigel_tufnel_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 03:24:58 GMT

Folks:

To continue with this all in the same thread, now that I have had time to breathe, and the sales presentation isn't my overriding concern, I've been able to go back and take a second look at our migration from Oracle 7.3.4 on NT to Oracle 8.0.5 on Solaris, using the same hardware.

We have received and installed the additional 512 Megs of RAM, but additionally I've also re-configured the RAID array to 4 separate partitions, instead of one large one, to reduce contention and hopefully improve disk I/O, although I have to tell you I'm not terribly impressed by the Compaq SMART controllers, or Sun's information for them. In particular, the bandwidth through the controller seems to be about limited to the bandwidth of a single drive. This seems like a strange thing to say, but consider that if you put different table spaces on different drives you would hope that your bandwidth should increase. In the case of this controller it really doesn't seem to, so, not on my recommended components list, especially considering the high cost.

Anyway, we had to do a complete re-installation of Solaris and Oracle. As before, 8.0.5 installed rather well and completely from the command line. Solaris gave me little problems either, recognizing the new partitions, and letting me modify it's recommended settings easily.

I already mentioned that SYSADM user is gone from the default in Oracle, so when you create a new DB you must add him if you're going to be importing an Oracle 7 db.

I've also found that certain column names have been renamed, as well as one being now gone. Columns from some SYS tables like 'precision' and 'type' have been renamed to 'precision#' and 'type#', so most of the changes we had to make to our views were straightforward. I'm not sure what the actual changes to the data types are though.

I should have brought my notes with me. I think it was IDX$.UNIQUE is now gone, or something like that, and I haven't found a suitable replacement. Fortunately we only used it for copying the database from the client so it won't be a large part of our performance testing.

Next week we reload the database and re-run our old tests, so stay tuned.

Nigel