Re: HELP :Updating a table with 3 million records...

From: Arvind Gidwani <agidwani_at_cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 14:33:37 +0000

Kris :

It is very simple to do , There are two ways of doing it

  1. Whenever you update any huge table it takes much longer than if you were to create another table as select and performing the operation on the data while creating the new table

so 1st METHOD : create table backup ( column listings ) as select column1, ltrim(column2), rtrim(column3) etc etc from mastertable;

This will be very fast.

2nd Method :

I update huge tables like SO_LINES_ALL which have 8-9 mill rows in just about less than 2 hours.

The trick here is to use the ROWIDS to parallelize the DML operation

ie UPDATE TABLE_NAME set column_name = rtrim(column_name) where rowid between substr(rowid,1,6) = 'A' [ Using blocks part of the ROWID ] By using this method you can achieve degrees of parallelism to 16

Hope this helps , If this does not work let me know

my email is agidwani_at_cisco.com