HELP :Updating a table with 3 million records...

From: Kris <krishnan_at_halcyon.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:41:02 -0800

Hi All,

We are running into a serious problem. We hae a table with 3 million records and we have to do a ltrim , rtrim on one of the columns. I tried a simple update statement and it took ages. I aborted and decided to run using a PL/SQL script.

I loaded the 3 million in a cursor and updated the record and commited. This again is taking more than 23 hours and has finished around 2 million records. Now I am rewriting my script to load the records that have not been trimmed and update them, it is the same scenario, takes ages.

I tweaked my init.ora parameter to a large database. Unfortunately my db_block_size is 2k. We are running oralce8.0 on NT with 256M and dual processor ....

Any suggestions to speeden the process. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Krishnan
e-mail:krishnan_at_cdgpd.com Received on Fri Jan 08 1999 - 13:41:02 CST