Re: Changing the block size

From: Jens Kieffer-Olsen <dstdba_at_post4.tele.dk>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:02:44 +0100

Sybrand Bakker wrote in message <36925F27.D52762FC_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>...
>Yes, there is
>- export the database
>- recreate the database with the new block size as per the =
init<sid>.ora
>- import the database
>There are numerous internal structures (table directories, row =
directories)
>which are directly depended from the block size. The block size can't =
be
>changed without recreating the database.
>NB: db_block_buffers is measured in blocks, not in k's
>
>Hth,
>
>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
>Zachary Agatstein wrote:
>
>> I tried to increase the database block size from 2k to 4k, by =
changing a
>> parameter in initxxxx.ora file, and rebooting the system. The =
database,
>> however, has been populated. It gave me an error and prevented from
>> mounting an instance. Is there a way to do it?

 Before you export the database, check for out-of-range NEXT_EXTENT  parameters. Increasing the block size could trigger the allocation of = another
 EXTENT. If your datafiles aren't capable of accommodating a large such  extent, then your IMPORT may crash altogether!

--
Jens Kieffer-Olsen Received on Fri Jan 08 1999 - 06:02:44 CST