synchronize 2 instances

From: <kho_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 08:14:49 GMT

Hi,

I need to copy an Oracle 8 database to another database on different machine every night. The target database will be read-only and the source database is used by a 24*7 system. One of my co-workers suggested me to use the archivelog of the source instance after the hot backup.

Then, for the target instance, do the following:

1. Shutdown the instance
2. Copy the archivelog, control files of source instance to target
3. Restart the instance
4. unmount the database
5. Use "recover database" to let Oracle apply the new archivelog

Do I miss anything in the above steps? What is the drawback to use such a method?

Thanks,
Kin