Re: tnsnames vs nameserver

From: Stephen Tenberg <STenberg_at_fcs-usa.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 03:25:11 GMT

Jonathan Gennick wrote in message <>You get a couple of advantages by using Oracle Names. One is
>that you can move instances transparently. If you move TEST
>from machine A to machine B, you only have to update the
>information in the names server database. With TNSNAMES
>files, you would have to update all the files, possibly
>disrupting some of your users. Another advantage of Oracle
>Names is that as you add databases, you aren't forced to go
>around to each user's machine and update their TNSNAMES.ORA
>file.
>
>regards,
>
>Jonathan

Personally, I see Oracle Names as an unnecessary layer, usually, that partially duplicates naming available from DNS.

We use the simple TNSNAMES files. But rather than mention the *actual* machine, we use a name like 'PRODUCTION_DATABASE'. We then rely on a DNS alias record to map that name to a 'real' machine, which can be changed at any time.

Used correctly this way, there would never be a need to change an existing TNSNAMES file, and you avoid the bother of running Oracle names.

Steve Received on Thu Jan 07 1999 - 21:25:11 CST