Re: Too much redo! Help!

From: MarkP28665 <markp28665_at_aol.com>
Date: 8 Jan 1999 01:33:48 GMT

From: "Kenny Gump" >>
If you are recreating the table each time then in your create table statement use the unrecoverable keyword option. <<

Original post states version is 7.1.6 so this is not an option, but it a good idea once an upgrade takes place and it gave me a second idea. Wheather the table is being re-created or just re-loaded with data the original data has to be deleted so Tabassam if you are dropping the table or doing a delete of all the existing rows use the truncate command to speed the process by reducing the amount of rbs and also redo used. It is not much but at least we thought to ask. Good luck.

Tabassam Kayani wrote in message >>>... We have an overnight procedure which creates a large denormalised table by joining a number of existing tables. Unfortunately, more often than not, it fails to complete due to the large amount of redo generated (archived) and running out of disk space as a consequence.

Bearing in mind that we are running under 7.1.6, can someone please suggest how we can keep the redo generated to an absolute minimum ? <<<

Mark Powell -- Oracle 7 Certified DBA
- The only advice that counts is the advice that you follow so follow your own advice - Received on Thu Jan 07 1999 - 19:33:48 CST