cannot connect to 7.3.4 on NT 4 via IPX/SPX

From: Sander Dales <sfd_at_rws.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 13:20:42 +1300

Howdy all....

We have a problem where we cannot connect to an oracle 7.3.4 database running on NT 4.0 (sp3) via IPX/SPX. We can connect fine via TCP/IP.

From an NT Client running SQL*NET 2.3.4.0.0 we get ORA-12547: TNS lost contact. We get the equivalent error from a 16bit win31 client running SQL*NET 2.3.2.1.3 We can TNS ping the databases via spx no problem. We can connect to the NT server on an IPX only client no problem (having made the minclientbuffersize registry change) and get no corruption. We can connect to oracle 7.2 databases on Netware via IPX not problem.

The trace files show a corrupt packet header returned after the TNS handshake.

We have been down the network path. Does anyone have any ideas? Oracle support NZ have not been able to assist to date.

Thanks very much in anticipation.

Sander Dales. Received on Thu Jan 07 1999 - 18:20:42 CST