Re: Multiple Server Versions on one machine

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 14:12:17 +0100

What should be done is making sure these installations are OFA compliant. In that case you will have a directory structure : /home/oracle/product/7.3.4
and
/home/oracle/product/8.0.<whatever>
control files are normally located in dbs subdirectory of this tree. Of course there will be different oracle homes in /etc/oratab. One important thing: the dbstart procedure doesn't start the listener. As Oracle 8 comes with a new product (Net8) you need to make sure both listeners are started

Final question though:
Why don't you upgrade the 7.3.2 app to 7.3.4 and move all the data to your Oracle 8 database. Oracle 8 is downwards compatible with 7.3.4. Just a thought.

Hth,
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA