Re: ADO with Oracle

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 22:25:09 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jan 1999 16:28:04 GMT, cGraham_at_p01.on09.honeywell.com wrote:

>What is the state of ADO with Oracle? Is there native ADO support for Oracle
>from Windows NT, or is the Oracle ADO support implemented only via ODBC ? If
>it's ODBC, what is Oracle's timeframe for native ADO support ? I went to
>www.oracle.com, searched for "ADO", and came away with the impression that
>there is no native support and that Oracle might be slow in providing it in
>order to better sell their own COM object which they say is better than ADO.

Microsoft let's you use ADO against SQL Server using:

  1. ODBC: OLE DB Provider for ODBC
  2. Native: SQL Server OLE DB Provider

Oracle let's you use ADO against Oracle using:

  1. ODBC: OLE DB Provide for ODBC
  2. Native: Oracle Objects for OLE

All you need to do is read the postings of others in this newsgroup to get their feedback about the performance and features of Oracle Objects for OLE. Oracle provided this native support (i.e., not using ODBC) long before there was an ADO, RDO, OLE DB Provider, etc.

BTW, Oracle Objects for OLE is shipped/bundled with all flavors of Oracle servers for Windows (except Oracle Lite), Programmer for Windows, and Intel Client CD. This includes a development license. Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Service Industries

Columbus, OH
jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Wed Jan 06 1999 - 16:25:09 CST