export/import to a smaller database

From: Pat Soehl <pat.soehl_at_cxo.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:44:50 -0700

Oracle 7.3.4, sun solaris

This feels like a dumb question, but I feel compelled to ask it anyway.

I have a large database that was initially sized for projected growth. Currently it has only a small number of rows compared to what it will have.

Our testing department wants to create a logical copy of this database which contains the current data. Due to size constraints they want to use a smaller database, since the current data will easily fit in it.

I did an export full=y row=n to get the ddl pulled out.

I'm running into difficulty with the export files, since it wants to create tablespaces, tables, indexes and many other objects which all seem to have size parameters specified. I created the tablespaces after a lot of editing with smaller sizes, but now have hundreds of objects that need to be edited before I can even create tables and indexes. Any ideas on an easy way to do this? That is, export a larger database into a smaller one?

Any scripts on editing the ddl to modify or remove the size specifications?

Thanks in advance, Received on Wed Jan 06 1999 - 15:44:50 CST