Re: Oracle 6 under Win95

From: Oliver Niesen <oliver_at_allpayments.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:19:59 -0800

well i wouldnt say that i am an old timer, but do have the unfortunate responsibility to support oracle 5 thru 8 in my company.

there were rumors prior to my arrival that somebody has gotten oracle6 working in win95. i have never seen evidence of that.

the way we get around it is by exiting out to dos (shutdown; restart in ms-dos mode) and then running the database there. the other thing you might run into is that the older oracle has a hard time with physical memory larger than 32mb. again our solution is to use emm386 to create a 32mb expanded memory area ( in a sense the sqlpme never sees the all of the physical memory just the 32mb expanded). just watch out for conventional memory (base), it tends to be very low.

i know all of this very ugly and dirty. if you are able to do this under win95 please share your success with me.

good luck....