Re: Changing the block size

From: <mjain_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 16:12:29 GMT

You cann't simply change the db_block_size in init.ora parameter file after a database is created. For changing the db_block_size you will have to recreate the entire database. DB_BLOCK_SIZE at the time of database creation is used to format datafiles as per the block size and so if DB_BLOCK_SIZE gets changed all the existing datafiles will become unusable for new DB_BLOCK_SIZE. That is why you will to recreate the entire database.

To achieve this you need to first export the database, recreate the database with new DB_BLOCK_SIZE, and then import the export file.

Hope this helps,

Manoj Jain
Oracle Certified Professional DBA
Chauncey Certified Oracle7 DBA