Re: CUBE operator??

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:33:48 +0200

Jimmy wrote in message <368C746E.7082_at_comp.polyu.edu.hk>...
> I heard that SQL Server 7.0 can use CUBE operator (data warehouse
>operator). Is that right? And how about Oracle? Or Oracle support
>something like CUBE operator in data warehousing?

Not sure what the CUBE operator/statement does for you in SQL-Server. A cube ito of DSS and D/W basically consists of dimensions and measures. This can be implemented in any relational db via GROUP BY queries (though size of the data and performance of the queries can become an issue). The star schema model is often touted as -the- structure to use in D/W design. Personally, I am not a purist and prefer to use whatever works for the customer. Oracle however does support star schema implementations using the star query join (fact table joined to various dimension tables). It suppose to address the performance and volume issues. Never had to use it myself though in data warehousing on Oracle.

I think the answer is that it's very likely to do the same thing in Oracle that you can with SQL-Server's CUBE operator. There's very creative ways to solve problems with SQL. As I've often discovered in data warehousing. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Jan 06 1999 - 05:33:48 CST