Re: tips to optimize oracle database performance

From: Paul de Anguera <nospam_at_quidnunc.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 06:01:28 GMT

In article <76u1an$lq4_at_journal.concentric.net>, "Mark Shihadeh" <marks_at_cetec.com> wrote:
>Hi. My company has clients that run our application on SQL server 6.? and
>Oracle 7.3(for Windows NT). Oracle dB performance is considerably slower
>than SQL server. To be honest, our knowledge of Oracle DB is limited. Any
>tips for some hackers like us - i.e. different drivers, set up settings,
>indexing? Thanks!

Sticking to generalities, if everything is slow it's probably your initSID.ora parameters or your server (how's your paging rate?) or something further along the pipe like your network or client.

If only some programs are slow it's probably the way your SQL gets optimized; do some EXPLAINs and look at your plans. If you are using the cost-based optimizer and your statistics are bad you'll get weird plans; refresh them with the ANALYZE command. If some tables are fast and some are slow it's probably their indexing or physical storage; plans are the way to diagnose this too. Buy a book, take a class and put time into it. If there were a hidden lever to crank it up it would be marked and we would all know where it was.

We have a similar situation with ADP; they sell client-server apps that run on all the major RDBMSs but they don't know much about how any of the RDBMSs work. I quickly learned never to ask them for help with Oracle, only with their app. It's nice to hear about a company that at least has a serious interest in learning about the platforms they market to.

Paul de Anguera | "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say
Reply to:       | what you want to say sometimes, so you have to
deanguer@       | rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
quidnunc.net    | - Frank Zappa