Rollback Segments !!!

From: <jricardo_at_ipb.pt>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 16:54:56 GMT

Hi there...

I have a admin problem under NT 4.0 and Oracle Server 7.3.1 When running a plsql script to update a table that have almost 500 thousand lines, i get a rollback segment "explosion" !!! I can change the size of the rollback segment, the max segments, etc... BUT i just want to know if there's no performance change by havong RB Segment with a lot of extents... Can anyone clarify me the use of RBS and the OPTIMAL size of RBS and OPTIMAL number of segments !!! Can the ROLLBACK segment be AUTOmatically shrinked if there's no space allocated by and sql or pl instance ??? For example if a RBS has 5 MB and it growns to 25 MB under a script execution, can it be always shrinked to 5MB after the execution ???

--

Thankx
If you know how to help me mail me to jricardo_at_ipb.pt