startup hangs

From: Augustin Paar <paar_at_nortel.ca>
Date: 5 Jan 1999 15:10:25 GMT

Hi there,

     I hope that I haven't missed the answer to this one in my searches through some underground Oracle FAQ web sites and DéjàNews. We use Oracle (version 7.1.6.2.0) behind CMVC (IBM's older software configuration management tool) at our site. We are running the server on an HP running HP-UX 9.05. At this time I cannot get Oracle back on its feet. We had some network problems over the weekend and / got full on the server machine, I logged in, found some of the reasns why the file system got full, recoverred some space, tried to shut down CMVC and then shut down Oracle. Things would not shut down properly, so I used a more radical approach (I guess the sledge hammer approach which I will never do again ;-). Now every time I try to restart the Oracle server the 'startup' command just hangs. then I end up with a process oracle<SID> which will not die ntil a reboot, even after running ipcrm on the shared memory segment. This segemnt then does not disappear, but is marked as deleted and the man pages indicates that it should disappear when the last process attached to it terminates.

     The commands I am trying to run within 'sqldba mode=line' are:

connect internal
startup (this is where it hangs)

     A few things which I have already tried:

  1. Remove the sgadef<SID>.dbf file from $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
  2. Restores the dbs directory from the weekend's backup which had run properly (no $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/sgadef<SID>.dbf file for one).
  3. restore $ORACLE_HOME from the backup.

     The ORACLE_HOME directory lives on a NetApps server, one of our local Oracle administrators (running more complex database applications) thinks that NFS used here is just bad. I am currently re-extracting the backup files and am going to try to put the reastored ORACLE_HOME on a disk local to the server machine. The machine is currently clean from the shared memory segment and any oracle<SID> processes.

     I hope that I am not missing an obvious piece of the puzzle and that someone out there can help.

Thank you.

To respond to this message, remove the '.IHateSpam' part from the address below.

Augustin Edmond Paár (aep) paar.IHateSpam_at_nortelnetworks.com Nortel Networks, Montréal, Québec, Canada Received on Tue Jan 05 1999 - 09:10:25 CST