Re: jdbc cursors

From: Rebekah Lepro <rsl102_at_psu.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 09:02:40 -0500

I seem to remember a bug with the JDBC drivers that does not close a connection properly after use and that you must explicitly close it. Ahh yes, here is the text from the original email:

 Yes you should use jdbc. But you should beware of the pitfalls. The  biggest one is:
 Last time I checked, you had to actually close the connection in jdbc  and
then reopen another connection if you changed the sql statement.  In theory you should be able to:

  1. open a connection
  2. associate a sql statement with that connection
  3. execute it
  4. close the *statement*
  5. associate another statement with that connection and execute it But if you don't close/reopen the *connection* when you change the sql statement, then the open cursors on the database just mount up until you eventually blow the max_open_cursors (or whatever it's called).