Re: DataDictionary Dual?

From: John Koo <johnkoo_at_i-wave.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 19:34:23 +0800

pgaur_at_cdotd.ernet.in wrote:

> Hi,
> While reading the Oracle 7 Server Concepts, I found a word, called DUAL.
> This I found in context of DataDictionary Objects. The only info about DUAL I
> got is that The table named DUAL is a small table that Oracle and user written
> programs can reference to guarantee a known result. This table has one column
> and one row.
> This does not really gives any insight to what DUAL is.
> Can somebody help me in this aspect??
> Praveen Gaur

I found DUAL is a very handy virtual table and help a lot when you try to   calculate a number , e.g.

        select (3+5)/2 from dual;

  find the date , e.g.

         select sysdate from dual;

   find the name of YOU login name, e.g.

          select user from dual;

and many others....

John Koo Received on Tue Jan 05 1999 - 05:34:23 CST