DataDictionary Dual?

From: <pgaur_at_cdotd.ernet.in>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:51:27 GMT

Hi,

        While reading the Oracle 7 Server Concepts, I found a word, called DUAL. This I found in context of DataDictionary Objects. The only info about DUAL I got is that The table named DUAL is a small table that Oracle and user written programs can reference to guarantee a known result. This table has one column and one row.

        This does not really gives any insight to what DUAL is. Can somebody help me in this aspect??
Praveen Gaur