Re: possible to use OO4O and Oracle 7.5 together?????

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 00:38:51 GMT

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 14:47:58 +0100, "Morten Overgaard" <morten_at_albatros.dk> wrote:

>HI
>
>I'm quite new to the Oracle thing, but skilled in sql server 6.5 and DB2
>from IBM.
>
>1) Is it possible to use OO4O to connect to an oracle 7.5 database from
>ASP????
Oracle 7.5 doesn't exist. Oracle Objects for OLE works with both Oracle7 and Oracle8.

"Oracle Objects For OLE (OO4O) is a product designed to allow easy access to data stored in Oracle databases from any programming or scripting language that supports the Microsoft COM Automation and ActiveX technology. This includes Visual Basic, Visual C++, Visual Basic For Applications (VBA), IIS Active Server Pages (VBScript and JavaScript), and others."

>2) Can anyone explain the "Instance" term on oracle. When you work with
>SQL-Server you create different databases on the same server. Is the term
>"instance" on Oracle the same as a database on SQL server ie. do you create
>an instance for every database you set up???? - see i'm quite confused.
>It's like Oracle has put another abstraction layer on top of the database
>layer as I know it from DB2 and SQL-server.. So what is an Instance?? - and
>is it possible to have several databases running in the same instance????

A "database" in MS SQL Server-eze is roughly equivalent to the term "schema" in Oracle.

A user (sometimes called a username) is a name defined in the database that can connect to and access objects. A schema is a named collection of objects, such as tables, views, clusters, procedures, and packages, associated with a particular user.

A database instance is comprised of the processes, memory structures, and files that make up an Oracle database.

The Oracle8 Concepts manual is an outstanding source of information for these topics.

>regards Morten

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Service Industries

Columbus, OH
jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Mon Jan 04 1999 - 18:38:51 CST