Re: Connect Strings in Oracle 8

From: Paul de Anguera <nospam_at_quidnunc.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 20:39:37 GMT

In article <76k0s4$qgl_at_bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, "Keith Gilbert" <peggyandkeith_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Check the contents of your tnsnames.ora file. It contains the configuration
>information for all connection strings on your client.
>>I looked at some old documentation for 7.0 and was lead to believe that a
>>string should like this: Protocol:Server Name:Instance Name. ie. T:HQ:LOC
>>where T is short for TCP/IP....

That's the sql*net 1.x format. You are probably running sql*net 2.x; your format in this case should be:

user/password_at_alias

alias = a name for a connection in your client's tnsnames.ora file. It's customary to name the connection for the database instance, but the name is arbitrary.

Paul de Anguera | "You can't write a chord ugly enough to say
Reply to:       | what you want to say sometimes, so you have to
deanguer@       | rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
quidnunc.net    | - Frank Zappa