Oracle-Tuning: File-Caching on AIX 4.1.5

From: <hotovy.andreas_at_draexlmaier.de>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 10:01:07 GMT

Hi all,

we are running a Oracle 7.3.3 - Server on IBM RS/6000 F40 under AIX 4.1.5.

The machine is equipped with 1GB of RAM, SGA-Size is about 150M, File-Cache is about 650M and no free RAM for applications to run. The Problem is that almost every single byte goes into the file cache.

Due to this behaviour applications start quite slow because of paging. We tried to (vm)tune our system and tell it to use just 10 - 15% of the total memory for file caching but this is regularly ignored.

Anybody any other ideas?

Andy