How Do I set up Personal Oracle Instances?

From: <dperez_at_juno_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 03:13:15 GMT

OK... As usual, I did something that SHOULD have been so trivial as to be, well TRIVIAL... and as usual, in Oracle it AIN'T!

I had 8.0.3 Enterprise running on NT 4.0, with Developer 1.6, Developer 2.0, and Designer 1.3.2. WORKED FINE......... SQLPlus could find my two databases. Designer could find my 2 databases... BOTH versions of DEVELOPER could find the databases. Designer had a repository. The world was GOOD..............

BUT, I wanted 2.1 of Developer and 2.1.1 of Designer (which APPEARS to require 8.0.4)... So, I got copies of Personal Oracle 8.0.4, Developer, and Designer........

And I installed PO 8.0.4........ NOW, according to the documentation, I just run Oracle Net8 Easy Config... WHICH NEVER COMES UP....... Java.exe just sits there eating as much CPU as it can get. The network config NEVER comes up. HOW DO I GET THIS POS TO ACTUALLY RUN????????? Also, PREVIOUSLY, I was using Named Pipes (I think), but I figured it SHOULD be MUCH easier to just do the local bequeath.... and I am MAJOR baffled at this point.. so, would some kindly dba or sqlnet person straighten me out on this...

  1. In oradim80, the orcl database instance is up and so is the service and instance for my database mydb. The listener SHOWS 1 service for orcl using IPC? At least that's what appears in the listing below.....

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=oracle.world)) ...
Services Summary...

  ORCL          has 1 service handler(s)
  extproc               has 1 service handler(s)

right? So, WHAT IS THIS THING DOING? TPC? Named Pipes? IPC?

So, if I want to use local bequeath for these two databases how do I do it? There's a default tnsnames with a bunch of entries in it, including this:

BEQ-LOCAL.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = BEQ)(PROGRAM = oracle80)(ARGV0 = oracle80ORCL)(ARGS = '(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))

    )
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = ORCL))

  )

which I PRESUME should find the orcl database, but with the listener up, how do I KNOW its using the local instead of the listener connection? For my database (mydb) do I just change all occurrences of "orcl" in the above to "mydb"? Do I delete the listener file? Do I create an entry just like this one and change all the ORCL to MYDB? iF SO, IT DOESN'T WORK...... I created the following then ran sqlplus... I got the 12154 error, which I PRESUME means it can't FIND mydb... So what am I missing here?

MY_DB.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = BEQ)(PROGRAM = oracle80)(ARGV0 = oracle80MYDB)(ARGS = '(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq)))'))

    )
(CONNECT_DATA = (SID = MYDB))

  )

OR, If I bag this whole thing with the bequeath... Can I just use my old listener and tnsnames and have a normal connection? Here's the listener I USED SUCCESSFULLY with 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, and enterprise 8.0.3... Does this OR DOES THIS NOT use named pipes? And does this one statement about orapipe cause ALL the databases in here to use named pipes? I've read the documentation, and I'm more confused than ever... and, same old question - what IS IPC?

LISTENER =
  (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS=
          (COMMUNITY= NMP.world)