Re: Oracle/Linux connect internal question

From: Douglas Utzig <dutzig_at_iag.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 20:45:22 -0500

CONNECT INTERNAL will ask for a password if the OS user you're logged in as is not part of the "dba" group. The "dba" group can be any OS group, but it is typically "dba". The group is configurable during installation if you're doing a Custom Install. After install, you'll have to modify the ?/rdbms/lib/config.c file and relink the oracle executable to change the group used for authenticating CONNECT INTERNAL.

You can do a few things:
- Only log in as a member of the dba group when doing a CONNECT INTERNAL. - Setup a password file using ?/bin/orapwd. You also need to set the init.ora parameter remote_login_passwordfile for this.

An additional point ot remember - Oracle will always ask for a password if you are connecting through the listener (a non-local connection), even if svrmgrl is running on the same system. If you need to connect through the listener, setup a password file.

Setting TWO_TASK=P: forces Oracle to use the SQL*Net v1 pipe driver, which along with the v2 BEQ protocol adapter, are the two types of local connections. SQL*Net v1 is only available with 7.2 and earlier, so it won't work with Oracle8.

Regards, Doug.