Re: Consistency checking tools?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 22:52:03 GMT

A copy of this was sent to George <gmyers_at_home.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Sat, 02 Jan 1999 21:29:35 GMT, you wrote:

>Can anyone advise me about what consistency checking tools/scripts exist
>
>for oracle which can easily identify index and block integrity.
>(Ideally looking for something like dbcc for sql server).
>
>TIA
>George Myers.

Not that you really ever need to do (i understand you must do dbcc for sqlserver) it but...

SQL> analyze table validate structure cascade;

from sqlplus or dbv:

$ dbv help=y

DBVERIFY: Release 8.0.3.0.0 - Production on Sat Jan 2 17:45:40 1999

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Keyword Description (Default)

FILE      File to Verify     (NONE)
START     Start Block        (First Block of File)
END       End Block          (Last Block of File)
BLOCKSIZE Logical Block Size (2048)
LOGFILE   Output Log         (NONE)
FEEDBACK  Display Progress   (0)

from the command line on a datafile. Also, a full database export (not a backup but exp) has pratically the same effect -- it fully tests the integrity of your system tablespace as it pretty much reads the whole thing to export. it tests the integrity of your data (not indexes on your data necessarily) as it reads all of it. the thing I like about using export to do 'integrity' checks is that I get yet another backup for emergencies and it doesn't lock anything (as analyze will tend to do)....

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Service Industries
Reston, VA USA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Sat Jan 02 1999 - 16:52:03 CST