Re: EXP/IMP WE8ISO8859P1/US7ASCII issues

From: <Uge_at_VaxMan.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1999 02:05:31 GMT

WE8ISO8859P1 is a superset of US7ASCII (as its characters are storred in 8 bits rather than 7) hence to move to 7 bit some conversion would be necessary. Obviously (I hope) Oracle can't do this. Hence you need to create a new db on your Unix machine remembering to use the WE8ISO8859P1 charset. Then EXP/IMP and Bob's your uncle.

Aside: do NOT use direct path EXP - the IMP takes about 15 times as long.

Eugene (Oracle Certified dba looking for job on NT or VMS).