Re: Oracle8 on NT Server or Workstation?

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Jan 99 16:15:41 GMT

It is not so much the operating system in this case, but it would be rare to find Raid 5 of 0+1 on a workstation.

NTS has connection limits that are also higher (many would say correctly that NTW could handle higher connection limits too, but that Microsoft wants to charge more for the added functionality, which they do via NTS). The thing to consider here is how many concurrent users will you have, NTS will support a large number where NTW just cannot because Microsoft just does not allow it to.

When I think NTServer, I think of a machine with a couple of processors (4 would be nice) and a big array of RAID disk space, NTW should not really be configured with massive disk space in a normal large organization, because backups become more important and file servers (NTS) are used for that purpose.

Basically NTW usually fills more of a single user function, whereas NTS is purchased to support many users.

I concur with the others who have responded to this thread; if it is to be a real live Oracle Production database NT Server or even better a Unix Server is the way to go (Unix Servers cost more initially, but can be administered remotely much more easily).