Re: Win98 and Oracle Net8 Easy Config Problems: "Java" Error?

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1 Jan 1999 00:20:06 GMT

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 07:52:16 -0500, Stephen Hurrell <hurrells_at_baynet.net> wrote:

>I am trying to connect my home PC runing windows98 to the Oracle 8.0.5
>server at work.
>I connect via PPP through a PPP server at work and can ping,telnet the
>oracle host from home. When I run Easy Config and answer the questions
>and try to test I then get a "Java" error or GPF.
>
>Does anyone have this working -- what is the problem here?

Not sure why you are having difficulty with Easy Config at home. Have you tried just taking your TNSNAMES.ORA file from work, and copying it onto your home PC? That's what I did, and it works just fine. I never use Easy Config. I think it's a misnamed product<g>.

BTW, at work I connect via TCP/IP. When I dial in from home, I do as you do, and establish a PPP connection. In both cases the connection is via tcp/ip, and that's why the same tnsnames.ora file works in both places.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Thu Dec 31 1998 - 18:20:06 CST