Re: RMAN vs. OS Backups

From: Peter Sharman <psharman_at_au.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:33:20 -0800

John

There's a lot of useful information in what you sent out, but I'd have to disagree with one point (sorry to nit pick!). I have recovered databases using only an export file. It was a Production system, and a junior DBA (not me!) dropped 4 tables which luckily ended up being static. Rather than recovering the database to a point-in-time and thus losing data, we were lucky enough to just have to import 4 tables. Export also allows the recovery of just one table more easily than an image copy (even though both are possible), as well as its other advantages during migration, defragmentation etc. Admittedly, these are outside a backup/recovery scenario.

Pete

--

Regards

Pete

Peter Sharman                              Email: psharman_at_au.oracle.com

WISE Course Development Manager            Phone: +1.650.607.0109
(int'l)
Worldwide Internal Services Education            (650)607 0109 (local)
San Francisco

"Controlling application developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, ORACLE DBA Handbook
"Oh no it's not! It's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term ORACLE DBA