Re: Oracle 8 + ODBC 16 BIT + VB3

From: Steven H. Meller <smeller_at_24by7consulting.nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:05:34 -0500

Gerard,
I've had some experience with this specific problem. It turns out that there are combinations of drivers on Win95 which will fail consistently and interfere with any further database connections. We ended up settling on SPX using the Novell 32-bit stack and the Oracle 16-bit ODBC driver. Using TCP in the 16-bit ODBC world failed pretty badly, with either Microsoft or Oracle drivers. Let me emphasize that this is NOT a recommended position for your company: NONE of the ODBC vendors support a 16-bit driver running on Win95. Zero. Intersolv will support their proprietary stuff, but that's another story. IMHO your biggest problem will not necessarily be making it work initially, but keeping it working will be a nightmare.

HTH
Steve
meller @ 24by7consulting.com