Connect Strings in Oracle 8

From: Helsby1 <helsby1_at_aol.com>
Date: 30 Dec 1998 19:49:00 GMT

To all concerned,

I am brand spanking new at working with Oracle. Right now I am using, Oracle Migration Assistant for Access to try to import an Access database into Oracle.

My problem is that at some point I am being asked for a Connect String. None of the documentation that came with my 60 trial version explains the correct Syntax of a Connect String.

I looked at some old documentation for 7.0 and was lead to believe that a string should like this: Protocol:Server Name:Instance Name. ie. T:HQ:LOC where T is short for TCP/IP. I have tried several variations on this and have had no luck (the Database is local (BEQ) so I have tried B and BEQ and have had no luck. I have been able to successfully test the Service that I am trying to use, so I think the problem is just trying to get the string formatted just right.

Can anybody help me?

Steve M. (helsby1_at_aol.com) Received on Wed Dec 30 1998 - 13:49:00 CST