Re: ORA-1034 when connecting from UNIX with account other than oracle

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 30 Dec 1998 10:02:43 -0500

Kirk Cameron <cameron_at_bicnet.net> writes:

> Here is my configuration:
> Host OS: IBM AIX 4.2.1
> Oracle: 7.3.4
>
> If logged into AIX as "oracle" the following command suceeds:
>
> sqlplus scott/tiger
>
> if I "su kcameron" (since there is not a "-" I still have all the
> envirnment variable from the oracle account)
>
> sqlplus scott/tiger
>
> I get: ora 1034 - oracle not available.
>
> Any Ideas?

The problem is that the oracle executable is not setuid to the ID of the oracle user. Since the shared memory segments are owned by the oracle user, attaching to them fails, thus causing the ORA-1034 error.

To fix it, do the following:
chown oracle $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle
chmod 4755 $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle

Sometimes the installer fails to do it.