Re: Oracle under Unix

From: Konstantin Kivi <konst_at_sirena.rinet.ru>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 15:50:21 GMT

Reid Lai <reidlai_at_hk.super.net> wrote:
> Hi there,

> Because I am not Unix expert, I have a few questions about some
> terminology and relationship with Oracle Database:

> 1. What does IPC mean? I also found a Unix command called ipcs. How
> IPC can affect Oracle instance?

UNIX System V IPC - shared memory (among several processes), semaphores, message queues.
Oracle uses first two. ipcs shows such objects ipcrm - delete them.

> 2. Some information found in process trace file but don't understand
> completely:
> User time vs. System time
> Resident set size
> Zero-fill pages
> Voluntary vs. Involuntary context switches
> Don't understand why Logical Reads = 0 but Bytes from Logical reads
> gets 631.

??????

--
Sincerely Yours, Konstantin Kivi, Russia, konst_at_sirena.rinet.ru

    aka <k-kivi_at_usa.net>, 2:5020/457.24_at_fidonet.org           Received on Tue Dec 29 1998 - 09:50:21 CST