Re: How to use NCHAR and NCLOB?

From: <jb007x_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 19:34:44 GMT

I'm trying to store Unicode characters into a NCHAR column. I need help too.

I've defined a simple table such as XYZ:

    ACCOUNT NCHAR(9) Outside of SQL*PLUS,I:

     EXPORT NLS_LANG=AMERICAN.UTF8 When I try from SQL*PLUS:

      INSERT INTO XYZ VALUES('123456789'); I get ORA-12784: character set mismatch.

I suspect that Oracle requires me to pass it a UTF8-format string. But I went to Basis Technology's web page and downloaded their uniconv.exe utility that converts any text from one code to another. Here I translated from ASCII to UTF8 and the before and after strings look IDENTICAL. And Oracle explicitly states that it supports UTF8 ONLY for Unicode and noty UCS-2!

Paul