Re: ODBC Beginner

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:47:40 GMT

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:06:15 +0100, Jose Ramon Cebolla Cebolla <josec_at_aercov.es> wrote:

>If you want to view Oracle tables from Access you have to go to
>"File->Obtain extern data-->link tables" and in type of file you have
>to put ODBC. When you do this , Access ask you wich driver use and you
>have to indicate Oracle. Then you have to set the access database
>(service, user,password,...) and the tables to link.
>The names of the submenus can be different because i have done a
>traduccion to English. Excuse me if someone has a bad traduccion.

In case it isn't apparent, you need to set up your ODBC data source to your Oracle database before you can attach tables from it. You do this via the Control Panel -> ODBC. A User DSN is a datasource that can only be used by the current user (logged into Windows), whereas a System DSN can be used by any user with the appropriate privileges.

Click "Add", select the Oracle ODBC driver you want to use, then click "Finish". You'll have to fill out the rest of the information for this ODBC datasource. In particular, the "ServiceName" field refers to the SQL*Net/Net8 Oracle service, so you'll have to have this configured as well.

>Doug Cowles wrote:
>
>> Hi, I use Oracle a lot, but I've never used OBDC for anthing.
>> I've got Access and Personal Oracle on my home PC.
>> Can anyone provide a very basic outline as to how I can
>> set things up so that Access can view Oracle and vice versa?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dc.
>
>--
>José Ramón Cebolla
>Ingeniero Informático
>E-mail : josec_at_aercov.es
>Aercov:
> C/ Les Garrigues, nº 5 -6º drcha.
> 460001 Valencia
> Tel. 96 353 00 40 Fax: 96 352 85 25
> E-mail : info_at_aercov.es

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Dec 29 1998 - 06:47:40 CST